Tracking

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A place my heart can rest

Oh friends, don't we all long for a place our hearts can rest. Not just our body and mind, but our hearts.

The current women's bible study I am doing is Beth Moore's Beloved Disciple. This mornings homework so touched my heart. 

1 John 3:19-20
19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence:20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.

Our hearts trick us, deceive us, are oversensitive and fall apart, but if we are in Christ (if we have given control of our lives to Christ and actively pursue a relationship with him) he has declared active love to be a part of salvation. He knows all, he knows our hearts (even when our actions say differently) and in spite of our shortcomings, he is God and he is Love.

1 John 4:18
18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

He knows our hearts, he see's how our hearts trick us, but wants us to experience His perfect love that drives out fear, we are His, we will spend eternity with Him, let your heart rest in that.

Ephesians 3:18-19
And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,18 may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

 Christ's love for us is an absolute reality,  but we can be so emotionally unhealthy that we refuse to experience and absorb it into our hearts and minds. Many people resist God because they imagine him to be very condemning. In reality, we are more condemning and emotionally dangerous. It is as if Christ could say "I am perplexed with all your talk about whether or not you can trust me. Actually your heart can be at complete rest in My presence. My love is perfectly healthy. The greater risk is in My entrusting Myself to you." Our unhealthy hearts not only condemns us, but they also condemn others. We don't have to be raised in severely dysfunctional homes to develop unhealthy hearts. All we have to do is expose ourselves to life. Life can be heartless and mean. Purely and simply, life hurts. God hopes that we'll turn to Him to heal us from the ravages of natural life and make us healthy ambassadors of abundant life in an unhealthy world. Even the thing we secretly believe makes us unlovable and unloving. Knowing all things, God loves us lavishly. God's method of healing a condemning heart is to love it to death, then create in us a new heart. A healthier heart. A heart filled with faith instead of fear. His perfect love is the only thing that will drive out our fear. (This paragraph was my highlights from the whole homework, those are all Beth's words, not mine, but what my hearts cries out).

Hurt people hurt people. I had recently written (yes I have had some heavy posts recently) about God working on me. One area is my attitude, more specifically a judgmental spirit. I hadn't considered myself to be judgmental, I feel like I accept people and love them. As we walk with the Lord and open ourselves up, He oh so kindly points out deeper areas that might not be evident on the surface. I was quick to judge actions, not the heart of people. God has been showing me to search the heart, He searches mine and accepts mine no matter the lies it tells me, who am I to make a judgment call on anyone else's heart. I know I want to let my heart rest in the one who accepts me even in my humanness, and lavishes His love all over me, the one who is so pleased with me. Friends I hope we can all learn to let our hearts rest in the safest place there is and in turn love and accept others hearts as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment