Tracking

Monday, July 23, 2012

Memory lane and humble pie

My mom recently came across this article that was written in The Orlando Sentinel when I was a senior in high school. The main reason for the article was Meg and I had Coach Getty for 3 sports, for 4 years in high school (Cross Country, Soccer and Track). We were a 6A high school too, not some small-town-25-kids-in-your-graduating-class high school.

We had some great memories during our 4 years of sports and were fortunate to have some success as well. 

That is me with the line down the middle of my face
It was a sweet article that took my down memory lane.

There are 2 lines that cracked me up and humbled me

Line 1 - 
Getty quoted "I don't know if we are going to be able to replace them next year."

Line 2- 
Again Getty quoted "These are two of the best Oviedo has to offer, it may never get as good as it has been the last four years."

Getty was sincere, I appreciate that, the irony is the first year we gone, in came freshman Jenny Barringer 

Oh you don't know Jenny, here is what wikipedia had to say about her high school career:
"As a student at Oviedo High School, Simpson was a 5-time state champion in track and 3-time state champion in cross country. She also set Florida high school records in the mile, two-mile, 5000 m, and three-mile."

Oh and there is that part where she during one year of college she set NCAA records in the mile, 3000 m, and 5000 m indoors, 1500 m, 3000 m steeplechase and 5000 m outdoors.

Did I also forget to mention she was in the 2008 Olympics, holds the American record for the Steeplechase, and oh yeah, she is going back to the Olympics this year in London.

It was also a good perspective to remember that even though sports helped make me who I am today, they don't define me, what once was my whole world, now is a sweet memory of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment