Tracking

Friday, October 8, 2010

Hospital, Hair, and playing in cars

Here is a post full of random thoughts.....

Hospital
Thank you to everyone who prayed for me yesterday and checked in to make sure I was ok.  I had started abdominal pain, bladder pressure, some nausea, and continued back pain on Tuesday. None of the symptoms were that severe so I had just contributed them to 3rd trimester pregnancy or baby's position in my belly.  I didn't feel top notch on Tuesday and Wednesday, but I am pregnant and growing, so I thought it was part of the package deal.

Fast forward to Thursday morning I woke up at 6am with severe abdominal pain. I knew that wasn't normal. After going to the bathroom every 2 minutes for a half an hour, I felt no relief from the pain. I got online and started researching and started reading about UTI's in pregnancy, I had almost all the symptoms.  I called my Dr's office about 7am to see if I could leave a message to get an appointment early that morning to get checked out. I had the option of calling the Dr on duty, but I didn't feel at that time it was that urgent, I figured that was for women who were actually in labor. After about 30 more minutes as I was trying to stand at the stove and make oatmeal, I was bent over in such pain, I decided it was urgent enough to call the Dr. on duty.  Dr. Estrada (the female Dr in my office) picked up and told me to come into the hospital right away, she was concerned it was Kidney Stones.

I hung up as Steve pulled in the driveway (he had gone to the store to get cranberry juice for me), I was in tears, the thought of having to go to the hospital scared me. In a panic, I called Sara next door and she came to the rescue, taking care of Payton. I am so thankful for great neighbors and friends who I can hand my child in her PJ's to, with no bag, knowing Sara will get what she needs from the house and take wonderful care of her until we got home. That was such a blessing. 

Steve and I pulled into the hospital, went through ER to Labor and Delivery. I didn't know what to expect, but as I entered they showed me my room and told me to put on a gown. In my head I was thinking, "I don't want to be here, I don't want a room or a gown, just give me medicine and let me go home!" 

Needless to say, after 4 hours in the hospital, much pain, many tests, more pain, finally medicine and pain killers, I got to go home with the diagnosis of a "nasty" bladder infection. The Dr did have an ultrasound done looking for kidney stones, since my pain was so severe. No stones found, but we did see little guys scrotum :) 

I came home and slept the rest of the day, took my meds and slept all night (except for every hour pee break). Today I am a different person. Drinking tons of water, I don't have all those pains I had experienced all week.  I am thankful that those pains I felt earlier in the week are not my new normal. I was worried about having to put up with all that for 11 more weeks. 

Hair
Totally a side not, but I haven't washed my hair since last Friday (yes over a week) and I have actually liked it more each day. I had curled it for Steve's reunion and I just have more and more body the dirtier it gets.  I have even worked out twice, and with the cooler weather, managed not to have to wash it. I might just curl my hair once a week this winter and enjoy the dirty, body hair!
Picture doesn't do justice, but it really had more body


Playing in cars
One of Payton's new favorite things to do is sit in either one of our vehicles and play. She climbs back and forth between the front and the back, turns dials, pushes buttons, pretty much moves whatever will move. It is always a treat to see what has been messed with when I turn on the car.


Yes that is our almost 14 year Acura. It has over 170,000 miles, no side mirror, missing air conditioner vent, tore up seats, kinda makes noises, but boy does it drive so nicely. Every year we think this might be the year it goes, but with a little investment each year (we just put new tires on it so it will handle the winter) this old faithful keeps moving along. Steve hopes to get 200,000 miles. Steve drives it daily and it really only stays in town, so it might take a long time to get 30,000 more miles. I am just thankful for cars that run, not really caught up in what they look like :)

Have a great Friday!

Erin!

2 comments:

  1. i just read this erin! glad all is fine with you and baby boy! yeah, i could only imagine going through that with those exact feelings and thoughts.

    on another note...gotta love dirty hair, you know i do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin I'm so glad you are feeling better!!! UTI's are the worst. I remember right after I had Clara I couldn't figure out what was hurting so I would just sit in our rocker and cry lol. Dave finally said we're going to the doctor right now because I had convinced myself it was just pain associated with having the baby a week ago so i didn't want him to take me and they think I was a wimp. :) Anyways, I remember how unbearable that was and I'm sure it's even worse while you're pregnant with a baby pushing on your bladder!!

    ReplyDelete