Tracking

Friday, January 25, 2013

Home to me

Olathe, KS is home to me. 

There, I said it, this once-so-prideful-to-hail-from-Florida-girl has become a Midwesterner at heart. 

Last night Steve and I attended a gathering of pastors from churches all over Olathe. Many of these men have served in their same churches 25+ years, pouring their very heart and soul into Olathe. Gary Kendall, our lead pastor is one of them. Our Mayor was there to encourage us, and my heart stirred knowing those men's stories (long-term ministry here) could very well be our story. Steve and I knew when we moved here 5 years ago that this could be home for a long time. We looked at the city wondering if this would be the only city our kids knew as home. Some pastors move around a lot, some stay for the long-run. We are completely open to God moving us, but last night I felt in my heart again, that this is home, for now, for awhile, and possibly for a very long time. I want to set my roots here, dig my teeth into this city. I want my heart to break for the things around this city that break the heart of God. I want to commit to serve my city, finding ways to use my God-given gifts to bless the lives of others. I want to be a part of a team of leaders in our church that are passionate to reach the people all around them for Christ. 

So Olathe, you have taken up big-time real estate in my heart. I thank God for that, and I thank God for the people all over this city. For the ones I already call friend and those I don't know yet. 

I am thankful for airplanes that can still get me to my family in Florida in 3 hours. The pieces of my heart that are still in Florida are in my family there. And I still have a little pride when it comes to bleeding orange and blue (Gators my friends) not red and blue (Jayhawks) like so many here, but hey we all have areas we are working on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment