Tracking

Friday, June 28, 2013

Resting in my Father's arms

Psalms 131:1-2
"Lord, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty. I don’t concern myself with matters too great or too awesome for me to grasp. Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself, like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother’s milk. Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me."

As I have a 4 year-old and 2 year-old that have been weaned and a 4 month old still breastfeeding this verse made me stop and think this morning.

When a child is weaned from the breast it's often not an easy process for the baby. Why? Because he will long for the comfort of the breast - that's all he's ever known and every time he's close to his mother's chest he begins to think about eating. It's the most comfortable place for an infant, so when it's time to consume real food and to spend less time on the breast there's a deep inner longing to be right back into the place of comfort that he knows so well.

However, after a few days/weeks of steady routine the baby forgets the whole thing and begins to crave real food. At this moment he's been weaned - no longer craving the breast but fully capable of resting against his mother without cooing for her breast. This is the picture of this verse - it's our responsibility to quiet our souls to a point where we no longer crave the things we used to crave (whatever those things may be for you) and we can rest against our Savior without carrying our bag of "wants" to Him. Imagine a two year old toddler (who can talk) laying against his mother's chest always asking the mom "can I breast feed again?" It would get old fast! But you can imagine the feeling a mother has when her child is resting upon her chest, not asleep but fully content with just "being" close to mom, with no wants or complaints, just still, alone with mom - it warms her heart in a way that nothing else in this world can. This is the picture David wants us to see here - still your soul, lay yourself in the lap of your Savior, put your head against His chest, be content with just "being" with Him, get alone, don't ask for anything, just relax.

He will take care of you.

Be a weaned child today!

No comments:

Post a Comment