Tracking

Monday, February 28, 2011

little man and crazy girl

The kiddos have been cracking me up. We arrived home from Florida last Thursday and saw sun for the first time today! We have been hunkering down inside and catching up from being gone. 

My heart has really been connecting with Colton. Being the first 6-7 weeks were so difficult with him (screaming all the time) I hadn't experienced too much connect with him.  There are many moms who fall in love with their child the moment (if not earlier) the child enters the world.  I am not one of those moms.  My loves does grow with time. Colton's rough start didn't negate my love for him, but I wasn't feeling all sorts of lovies towards him as he screamed and I lost sleep.

He has been a different man since I took out dairy from my diet. He has been so much more content. He will actually sit by himself for a few moments happy.

Lying by himself content!

He is so alert these days, look at those cheeks, you better believe I kiss all over them all day!

He is smiling and cooing all the time, when I took the dairy out, he stopped screaming and started smiling, it was a good day in our household


I am pretty sure it is the dairy that was bothering him. Yesterday was my birthday and I had a free startbucks drink, I decided to be crazy and have a drink with milk in it, and just enjoy it and see if it bothered him. He scream with gas all yesterday evening. His stomach has been so upset today and he has been farting like crazy. Unfortunately my plan was to have some ice cream for my birthday and just enjoy that too, that didn't happen because the screaming started before I got any ice cream and I figured it wasn't worth it. Back to no dairy, I will give it another try in a month or so. Yipppeee for almond milk and no cheese (I hope you sense the sarcasm in that).


While Colton is stabilizing, his big sister is going off the deep end. Kidding aside, she is so two and wants to do everything herself. As challenging as she is, I love this stage. I have to be creative in finding ways for her to do what is asked of her, without causing huge fights. Fights do happen. For example, today after Bible study I was letting her play around in the car for a bit while we wasted time in the parking lot as Steve finished a meeting so we could grab lunch together. She was climbing all over. When it was getting close to time to leave I gave her the choice (choices are the best for her) for her to climb in her car seat herself, or for me to place her there. Of course, she chose to do it herself, no surprise there. We weren't in a hurry so I gave her plenty of time to do this, but she proceeded to read books and mess around in the back seat. I explained to her that since she chose not to get in the seat herself, mommy would have to place her in it. As I did, the screaming and thrashing started (which didn't surprise me). I have read a book recently that I am going to do a book review on here for, that spoke about being prepared for the 2 year-old to fight back and have an action plan before it happens, so you don't get all caught in the emotions of the moment. My action plan with her fighting going in the car seat, is to simply take her out of the car, place her on the ground and tell her that mommy will not fight with her, that we will leave and come get her when she is ready. So today, I placed her on the ground in the parking lot (I made sure there were no cars around), closed her door, got in the front seat and told her I would leave her if she wouldn't let mommy buckle her in the car. I delayed about 1 second and all of a sudden she was ready for my to calmly (without a fight) place her in her car seat and go on with our day.  I had to do this once in Florida in my parents driveway. You might ask, would I really drive away, you better believe I would drive a circle in the parking lot, or in my parents neighborhood,  never leaving her sight, making sure she was safe, but letting her know that I was serious before coming back and asking her if she was ready to cooperate.

Some of you might think that is heartless and dangerous. Well, heartless, I don't think reminding my child that I am the adult and in control is heartless, giving boundaries and not stooping down to beg my child I hope pays off in the long run. Two-year-olds are wired to think the world revolves around them, and it is our job as parents to graciously and sometimes boldly, remind them it doesn't. Dangerous, I wouldn't do something to place my child in danger, if it comes to the point I have to drive away (which I believe it won't, but if it does I am prepared to do) I would make sure her safety was a priority. I would never leave her in the middle of a busy parking lot, but the 2 situations I have been in so far, I could drive away 25 yards, her still in sight and make my point. I am sure by then she would know I meant business and would be crying for my return. Creative parenting, without fighting with her. I know I can't and won't do this with every situation she fights over, but I remind her, that I am her mom, I love her, but will not stand for certain behaviors.

Here is a lovely reminder of how crazy 2-year-olds are. She wants to be naked, even when it is 20 and snowing outside and watching a show in her phone with sunglasses on, makes complete sense to her.  I so love my child and she does make me laugh everyday!



Erin!

6 comments:

  1. I have done the same thing with Joshua. There was one day that he would not come in the house after I got him out of the car. So after I had unloaded everything from the car I said that I was going in the house and closed the door behind myself. (Of course, I could still see him outside) He ran to the door faster than he ever has wanting me to let him in! He now knows that I am serious when I give an instruction! Keep up the good work! Your kids are so adorable and I love Colton's cheeks too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, Colton is.so.beautiful. Look at those eyes! And I'm definitely digging Payton's sunglasses. I'm really proud, once again, to call you my friend. While I know this phase is posing challenges and frustrations, I'm so proud of how you're handling it and I hope I'm such a great mom someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almond milk all the way:):)...there is a perfect reason why people pull actual milk out of their diet each and every day. Hope to see you sometime before our big day happens. We pretty much have exactly one month to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that Colton is doing better. Around 7 weeks is when I started bonding with Harper too. He is so adorable!!!

    I love your approach to dealing with a stubborn toddler. I'm all about tough love and letting them know who is in charge, so I don't see your approach as heartless at all! Love that picture of her in the glasses.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at Colton's eyelashes, they are sooo long!! He's such a handsome little guy!

    And Payton, she's a doll in her sunglasses!! Though, I don't have experience with your situation, I don't think your approach is heartless. It it a quick way to let her know who's boss!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tough love is the BEST!!! These angels are SO blessed to call you mom! The twos are so hard..we have our challenges daily! :)

    ReplyDelete