Tracking

Monday, June 27, 2011

Free Decorating

Since being a little girl, I have loved moving furniture around. As a child, I would lock my door and spend the afternoon rearranging my room. I had heavy wood furniture, but I remember figuring out that if I sat down, put my back against the furniture, and used my legs, I could move it wherever I wanted. I did earn the name "powerful catrina" from my parents. Not really sure where that name originated, but I still hear it once in awhile to this day when I move something I probably shouldn't move on my own. 

No surprise that Steve often comes home to find our home rearranged.  Mostly the family room, but other rooms as well. I have done about all the creative configurations I can think of with our family room, using the furniture we have. Most recently is looked like this.


I have felt stuck with my furniture pieces and the built-ins and I was looking to open up the window view a little more.  The next picture is the only one I could find that shows somewhat the front sitting room furniture.  (This was the morning we went in to be induced with Buster)


Looking at decorating magazines/blogs/books I have learned that almost all designers do not use matching sofa/loveseat combos. Since new furniture is so not in our budget, I decided to get creative and combine the front room and family room.  I wasn't sure about having matching pieces (sofa/loveseat) separated yet so close, but I am happy with the results. 


I decided to go ahead and put furniture in front of the built-ins, there was no way around it.  I love being about to see more of the windows.


Surprisingly I like the front room as well. Wasn't sure about the color of the loveseat with my walls, but it kinda fades away. Not my most ideal choice, but a good free choice :)


While I was at it I moved things around in our master bedroom as well. I kinda get on a roll when I start moving.  I felt like the chair I had on the wall facing the bed wasn't a fit. So I moved the ottoman from the basement up and moved the mirror so I have a better view of it.


I took hints from the dressing rooms you go into at stores that have tall mirrors that lean against the wall, you always look skinnier in those mirrors, so why not have that for my mirror I look into everyday! I do have a blank wall now that I am trying to figure out what to do with.


I do trial and error decorating, but I have learned to go with what I think I like, leave it for at least a week, then reevaluate. So far, so good.

How about you, moved anything around the house recently?

Erin!

4 comments:

  1. I was exactly the same way as a kid. I was constantly rearranging my room. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin!

    It's Alyssa (formerly known as Keeter) :-) My mom passed your blog URL my way (as I too am a fellow blogger) and I love it! Your family is adorable and you all look great. Glad to know all is well!

    Take care,
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete