Tracking

Monday, August 30, 2010

Spinach Quiche

I recently posted about one of my favorite meals, Spinach Quiche, and have had a few requests for the recipe, so here you go:

1 recipe for single-crust pie (I do make this from scratch from a quick oil based recipe, but store    bought ones work great and are easiest)
1/2 C chopped onion (1 medium)
6 slices of bacon, chopped (I use turkey bacon)
8 beaten eggs
1/2 C dairy sour cream
1/2 C half-and-half, light cream, or milk (i use milk because that is all I have)
1/4 t salt
1/8 t white pepper
Dash of ground nutmeg
3 C lightly packed chopped fresh spinach
2/3 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 C shredded swiss cheese
Cherry tomatoes, cut up

1. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double layer of foil, bake at 450 degree oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook onion and bacon until onion in tender and bacon is crisp. Drain on paper towels

3. In a bowl, stir together eggs, sour cream, half-and-half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in onion mixture, spinach and cheese
      (note: I placed bacon on top as I was cooking for a vegetarian, so I left bacon off a 1/4 of quiche)

4. Pour egg mixture into hot, baked pastry shell. Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. If necessary, cover edge of crust with foil to prevent overbrowning. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with cherry tomatoes if desired. 

(note: I usually end up baking over an hour because I do a deep dish version. I also bake the tomatoes on top, that is up to you)!

Enjoy!



Erin!

1 comment:

  1. sounds and looks delicious! i might have to try this out. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete